IFAE at a glance
Institut de Física d'Altes Energies (IFAE)
The hottest topics in fundamental physics, from particles to the Cosmos.
- Founded in 1991
- For more than 30 years we have been exploring the cosmic & high energy frontiers
- 150 people
- Researchers, engineers and support personnel
- Basic & Applied research
- We perform basic research in fundamental physics and applied research in instrumentation, medical applications and quantum computing technologies
- Three divisions
- IFAE is structured in three divisions (theoretical, experimental, technical) and an administrative area, and manages PIC, jointly with CIEMAT.
- Research lines
- The Experimental Division is organized in three main lines: Particle Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology & Applied Physics.
- One large engineering group
- IFAE has a strong technical division with about 30 persons including engineers and technicians of invaluable experience playing a crucial role in all experiments.
- International experiments
- Collaboration in 13 international experiments in high impact / leadership positions (ATLAS, MAGIC, DES, T2K, PAU, CTA, DESI, Euclid, LSST, Virgo, Einstein Telescope, ...)
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Chip packaging & assembly, clean rooms, shielded room, electronics labs, optical lab, mechanical workshop (300 m2)
- Data-processing centre
- PIC is part of the Spanish Supercomputing Network, a recognized Singular Scientific and Technical Infrastructure offering advanced data services to the broad scientific community, including many physics groups.
- Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology
- IFAE is a member of BIST since 2015, created to foster interdisciplinary research and share common services. IFAE’s partners come from different scientific areas: Nanoscience (ICN2), Photonics (ICFO), Bioengineering (IBEC), Chemistry (ICIQ), Biomedicine (IRB), and Genomics (CRG).
- Awarded the Severo Ochoa accreditation of excellence (2012, 2016)
- Twice awarded the Severo Ochoa accreditation of excellence (2012, 2016)