This position is filled
Open Position Computational Copsmologist, PIC
Opening Date: Closing Date:
We are looking for a computational scientist who:
- is passionate about new technologies for data analysis,
- is not afraid of working with data on the petabyte scale,
- is experienced in the scientific analysis of cosmological data,
- is a team worker who shares his achievements with his co-workers,
- likes to work closely with IT engineers.
In order to improve our scientific background in the field of computational cosmology we are looking for an experienced scientist who is able to produce results and present them in the typical forums, such as conferences and scientific journals. The work will be done in a multidisciplinary group of engineers and scientists supporting several research projects in the field of cosmology.
The Port d’Informació Científica (PIC) is an innovative centre for supporting research. Using technologies of distributed computing that include clusters, grid, cloud and Big Data platforms we offer services for the handling of massive data sets to the scientific community, whose researchers are spread around the world. At PIC, the services we offer to cosmology projects include the support of simulations for the Euclid space mission, the integral handling of the PAU (Physics of the Accelerating Universe) data, the quality analysis of DES (Dark Energy Survey) data and the scientific exploitation of the MICE (Marenostrum Institut de Ciencias de l’Espai) simulations.
- Computational scientist at the support group for cosmological research
- Development and maintenance of integrated data analysis pipelines
- Documentation of the work progress
- Presentation and publication of work results.
- Interesting and stimulating work environment
- A 1-year contract with the possibility of an extension according to the continuity of the project.
- Salary of 30.000€ per year.
What is required:
- PhD in physics or a similar field.
- Experience in analysing data from cosmological surveys.
- Experience in programming languages, e.g. Python.
- Ability to communicate correctly in English (spoken and written).
What is desired:
- Programming in object oriented, quality of code.
- Big Data (Hive, Spark, …).
- Data visualization.
- Experience in version control and continuous development.
The candidates must posses the citizenship of a European Economic Area member state, Switzerland, or be in possession of a Spanish work permission.
The contracting entity is the Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE). The place of work is the PIC, located at the campus of the Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona in Bellaterra. The duration of the contract is of 1 year with a 3-month probationary period. Contract extension is foreseen subject to a continuity of the project.
This contract is cofinanced with European Regional Development Fund through the “State Program for Research, Development and Innovation that Addresses the Challenges of Society” and “State Program for the Promotion of Scientific and Technical Research of Excellence” of MINECO. All documentation will be handled electronically and exclusively in PDF format. The applications have to be sent to email@example.com citing the reference number, together with a CV and any further relevant document. Application deadline: March 10, 2017.
The selection process will be continuous until a qualified candidate is found or the application deadline finalized. Contact for additional information: Mari Carmen Porto firstname.lastname@example.org Port d’Informació Científica Campus UAB. Edifici D 08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona) Tel. +34 935814109 Fax. +34 935814110