This position is filled
Open Position Postdoctoral position in the Observational Cosmology group, IFAE
Opening Date: Closing Date:
The Observational Cosmology group at IFAE Barcelona is seeking outstanding candidates for a 3- year postdoctoral position to work on observational cosmology with large galaxy surveys. The position is co-funded by the PROBIST Horizon 2020 COFUND program, which is part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions program of the European Union.
The group at IFAE is involved in a number of leading international projects, such as the ongoing DES and PAU galaxy surveys, and the upcoming DESI, Euclid, and LSST projects. Currently, the group is focused on the analysis of the copious DES data, playing leading roles in weak lensing, void science, and photometric redshift analyses. In PAU, the group is engaging in the analysis of the first available data from the survey, which, with its 40 narrow bands, permits analyses very complementary to those in DES. Following its substantial contributions to the development and construction of the DESI instrument, the group intends to participate vigorously in the analysis of its data. Opportunities also exist for involvement in the development of the scientific programs of Euclid and LSST/DESC. Successful candidates will be expected to participate in one or more of the above-mentioned projects, and will be encouraged to pursue their own research interests.
Details of the PROBIST call and application can be found at http://bist.eu/probist/ , where this specific position is labeled “C1-24: Cosmology and Fundamental Physics with large galaxy surveys.” Some basic facts follow:
- Deadline for applications: November 1, 2017.
- Stating date: September-October 2018, although it could be as early as March 2018.
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree in Physics or Astronomy awarded between November 1, 2012 and the call deadline.
- Applicants must NOT have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 1 year in the 3-year period immediately prior to the call deadline.
- Applications are to be submitted through the PROBIST website (http://bist.eu/probist/) . Technical questions about the application procedure should be addressed to Ms. Marta Balza ( firstname.lastname@example.org ), while any inquiries specific to the position can be addressed to Dr. Ramon Miquel ( email@example.com ).
IFAE is a worldwide-recognized center for fundamental research in Particle Physics, Astroparticle Physics and Cosmology, and provides an international, dynamic and competitive environment for training of young researchers. IFAE is one of ~20 Spanish research institutes awarded with the Severo Ochoa distinction for excellence in research, recently renewed for the 2017-2021 period.