This position is filled
Open Position Position at the Spanish WLCG TIER1 center: Support for the ATLAS experiment, PIC
Opening Date: Closing Date: Ref:PIC-2017-TIER-1
The Large Hadron Collider (http://www.cern.ch/lhc ) has started its second run, colliding protons at higher energies and intensities, and generating an unprecedented amount of data that is managed by the largest scientific distributed computing infrastructure ever built: the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG).
The Spanish Tier1 Center of the WLCG and the ATLAS Tier2, located at the Port d’Informació Científica (PIC, http://www.pic.es ) near Barcelona, Spain, have a position available for deployment and operations support of the data processing of the ATLAS experiment (Ref. PIC-2017-TIER-1).
- Liaison between ATLAS and PIC, able to understand and communicate experiment priorities to the Tier1 technical teams and Tier1 operational issues to the ATLAS computing teams.
- Attendance to ATLAS and WLCG coordination meetings.
- Collaboration in the coordination/development of ATLAS/WLCG projects.
- Support for data access from/to Tier2 centers.
- Responsibility for the ATLAS Tier1 and Tier2 operation at PIC.
- Monitoring, identification and resolution of workflow problems.
- Proactive investigation of issues and optimization of the Tier1 and Tier2 efficiencies.
- Data consistency checking.
- Deployment and support of ATLAS-specific services and systems at the Tier1 and the Tier2 at PIC.
- Collaboration with PIC’s staff to plan, test and deploy new systems that enable Tier1 services to keep up with the steady ramp up of the LHC data taking.
- Management of resources allocated to ATLAS at PIC to ensure optimal use of installed resources..
- Integration of external HPC and Cloud resources with the Tier1 and the Tier2 at PIC.
Required knowledge and experience:
- Degree in a relevant scientific or technical subject. PhD or equivalent in experimental particle physics would be an advantage.
- Job experience in similar tasks will be very highly appreciated,
- Very good user-level knowledge of Linux and experience with Linux administration.
- Good communication skills are essential, since interaction with scientific and technical teams will be required as a core part of the job. An excellent level of English is a must.
- Programming skills in Python and experience in a development team will be an advantage.
- Experience with the ROOT analysis framework (http://root.cern.ch ).
- Experience with Grid middleware, LHC experiment software and job/data management frameworks will be highly appreciated.
The recruiting center will be the Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE). The place of work will be the headquarters of PIC, located in the campus of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) in Bellaterra, near the city of Barcelona. The contract is funded by the FPA2016-80994-C2-2-R grant of the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, which includes FEDER funds from the European Union. The contract will be for the duration of the grant (until 31.12.2019), including a 6 month trial period. The salary will be commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Applicants must be nationals of the European Union, or of countries in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or have a valid Spanish work permit. All documentation will be handled electronically and exclusively in pdf format.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com indicating reference number PIC-2017-TIER-1, attaching a Curriculum Vitae and any other relevant documentation, always in pdf format. The selection process will be continuous until a qualified candidate is found. Applicants are invited to submit before 10.11.2017 to enter in the first selection process. Inquiries should be addressed to: Ms. Mari Carmen Porto e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org