This position is filled
Open Position LST Telescope Manager, IFAE
Opening Date: Closing Date:
The LST collaboration constructs a fully functional Large Size Telescope prototype for the Cherenkov Telescope Array (CTA) in La Palma, Spain, at the premises of the Observatorio del Roque de Los Muchachos (ORM). For details on the CTA project see https://www.cta-observatory.org/ and for the LST in particular see details at https://www.cta-observatory.org/project/technology/lst/ . The telescope construction started in 2017 and is expected to finish by Summer 2018. The commissioning of the telescope and technical operations will start immediately after finishing of the construction. The construction of three more LSTs at the ORM as a part of the CTA-North is planned for 2019-2021.
The LST collaboration opens an LST Telescope Manager position. The position is open from March 2018 until it is filled. The contract is initially for 2 years but can be extended upon satisfaction on both sides and funding availability. The salary is according to the Spanish public service payment system and depends on the candidates experience and qualification.
We seek strongly motivated candidates to live and work in La Palma with experience in large projects. The successful candidate should be fluent in English and Spanish in writing and speaking and should hold a degree in Physics or Engineering. The main tasks will be:
- Daily follow up of the LSTs construction and commissioning activities, joining the teams if needed.
- Act as contact person onsite for institutes, companies, local administration and the Instituto Astrofisica de Canarias (IAC) as well as the ORM.
- Organization of shipments, customs import/export process, storage and maintenance of the facilities at La Palma.
- Receives and supports commissioners and operators, manages travel schedule for onsite visits and works.
- Implements safety and health regulations: control, paperwork, emergencies.
- Takes care of running costs for purchases and contracts with local companies.
- Reports to the LST Project Management.
The LST collaboration aims to increase the number of women in research and education: women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The applications should contain a candidate’s CV, an expression of interest, and names of two reference persons.
The documents should be sent by email to email@example.com with a deadline of March 10, 2018. In case of questions and further information feel free to contact Dr. Juan Cortina (LST Co-PI) firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Daniel Mazin (LST Project Manager) email@example.com