This position is filled
Open Position Mechanical Engineer at IFAE
Opening Date: Closing Date: Ref:2019TEC001
At IFAE we are looking for a Mechanical Engineer
Who we are:
IFAE is the Institute for High Energy Physics (Institut de Física d’Altes Energies). At IFAE we conduct experimental and theoretical research at the frontiers of fundamental physics, namely in Particle Physics, Astrophysics, and Cosmology. We are involved in the ATLAS project at the LHC, the T2K neutrino experiment in Japan, the MAGIC telescopes in La Palma and the Dark Energy Survey project in Chile, among others. We also work at the cutting edge of detector technology developing pixel detectors for High Energy Physics, telescope cameras and detectors for medical imaging and other scientific and industrial fields.
What we are looking for:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 4 years experience in a similar position (in any sector)
- Experience with CAD/CAE (Solidworks)
- Ability to grasp core requirements, absorb new ideas and extrapolate novel solutions
- Ability and motivation for research, prototype, and refine designs to solve engineering challenges quickly
- Practical hands-on ability to create functional designs
- Proactive attitude
- Fluent in English
- The following knowledge will be an advantage: materials, cryogenics, vacuum, and manufacturing.
What will be your role:
As a project mechanical engineer, you will work in an autonomous way under the supervision of the Head of Mechanical Engineering Department at IFAE. You will be integrated inside a team with other engineers and technicians experts in mechanics, electronics, software, etc… and it will be expected to understand the needs and build synergies across all areas to achieve the project goals.
What will you do:
- Research, design, calculate, simulate, develop and test mechanical systems for your projects.
- Create and update manufacturing & assembly documentation.
- Manage the production either in our workshop or outsourcing.
- Create and update the technical documentation requested by the project.
- Assist to project meetings when need.
What we offer:
- 1 position
- Temporary contract (3 years), extendable depending on the current/new projects requirements. It will be established a trial period of 6 months.
- Flexible schedule.
- Work with very interesting science experimental projects (scientific instrumentation, detectors, satellites systems, telescope systems, small experiments)
- Opportunity to gain engineering experience learning first-hand about: exotic materials, cryogenics, vacuum, manufacturing techniques…
- Personal growth, innovation and learning every day
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The selection process:
Applications should be submitted through Linkedin or to email@example.com and they should include a cover letter and CV. Sending CVs to the above address implies consent to the legal warning at the bottom of IFAE’s Home Page.
The application deadline is September 27th. The selection process will be finished no later than the 4th of October. Approximate incorporation at IFAE will be the 14th of October 2019.
IFAE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
You may contact Juli Mundet ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) for any questions related to this job opening.