This position is filled
Open Position Junior Mechanical Engineer
Opening Date: Closing Date: Ref:2020TEC001
Who we are:
IFAE is the Institute for High Energy Physics (Institut de Física d’Altes Energies) a member of the Barcelona Institute for Science and Technology. At IFAE we conduct experimental and theoretical research at the frontiers of fundamental physics, namely in Particle Physics, Astrophysics, Cosmology, and Applied medical Physics. We are involved in the ATLAS project at the LHC at CERN, the T2K neutrino experiment in Japan, the MAGIC telescopes in La Palma, and the Dark Energy Survey project in Chile, the ESA Euclid satellite and the VIRGO Gravitational Waves experiment, among other. We also work at the cutting edge of detector technology developing pixel detectors for High Energy Physics, telescope cameras and detectors for medical imaging and other scientific and industrial fields.
What we are looking for:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 3-year experience in a similar position (in any sector)
- Experience with CAD/CAE (Solidworks preferable)
- Ability to grasp core requirements, absorb new ideas and extrapolate novel solutions
- Ability and motivation for research, prototype, and refine designs to solve engineering challenges quickly
- Practical hands-on ability to create functional designs
- Proactive attitude
- Fluent in English
- Having experience in the automotive industry will be an advantage.
- The following knowledge will be an advantage: materials, cryogenics, vacuum, and manufacturing.
What will be your role:
As a project mechanical engineer, you will work in an autonomous way under the supervision of the Head of Mechanical Engineering Department at IFAE. You will be integrated inside a team with other engineers and technicians experts in mechanics, electronics, software, etc… and it will be expected to understand the needs and build synergies across all areas to achieve the project goals.
What will you do:
- Research, design, calculate, simulate, develop, and test mechanical systems.
- Create and update manufacturing & assembly documentation.
- Manage the production either in our workshop or outsourcing.
- Create and update the technical documentation of the project you are involved in.
- Assist to project meetings when needed.
What we offer:
- 1 position. - Temporary contract of 3 years (1 + 2 years), extendable depending on the requirements of the current/new project. It will be established in a trial period of 6 months. - Flexible schedule. - Work with very interesting science experimental projects (scientific instrumentation, detectors, satellite systems, telescope systems, small experiments). - Opportunity to gain engineering experience learning first-hand about: exotic materials, cryogenics, vacuum, manufacturing techniques... - Personal growth, innovation, and learning every day. - Salary range is between 26k€ - 27k€ and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
The selection process:
Applications should be submitted through both Linkedin web and to email@example.com indicating the Job Reference 2020TEC001 and they should include a cover letter and CV. Sending CVs to the above address implies consent to the legal warning at the bottom of IFAE’s Home Page.
The application deadline is May 22nd. The selection process will be finished no later than the 5th of June. Approximate incorporation at IFAE will be the 6th of July 2020.
You may contact Juli Mundet (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for any questions related to this job opening.
IFAE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are particularly encouraged to apply