Open Position Research Data Scientist
Opening Date: Closing Date: Until FilledRef:PIC2022-AI-1
Port d’Informació Científica (PIC) is a scientific-technological center specialized in developing advanced tools and methods for scientific data analysis. We participate in research projects from multiple disciplines with challenging data environments, including particle physics, astrophysics, biology or materials science. Our main objective is to accelerate research by making data analysis more effective through the use of Machine Learning, High-Throughput Computing and Big Data techniques and using distributed computing to support collaborative research. PIC is looking for a highly motivated scientist with technical skills in advanced data analysis methodologies, deep learning experience and genuine interest in multidisciplinary research to participate in research projects and support scientists from different fields in developing and implementing efficient data analysis and data management strategies for their research projects. PIC operates a state of the art data processing facility that provides production services for large international experiments in particle physics and astrophysics. Since 2020, it is part of the Spanish Supercomputing Network (RES). PIC is also building a platform to provide data analysis and processing services for a new unique correlative facility for material science experiments at the ALBA Synchrotron. The successful candidate will join the Applied AI group at PIC and will work in close collaboration with discipline scientists and computer engineers to develop advanced data analysis methodologies for cutting-edge research. Synergies between the different fields will be actively pursued.
You will work as a researcher at the Applied AI group at PIC. Your job will consist in:
- Collaborating with national and international scientists from various disciplines in challenging experimental environments. Analyzing and fully understanding their needs, computing model and technological environment to accelerate their research.
- Interacting with the computer engineers at PIC to design interfaces for using PIC computing resources efficiently to address the different data analysis needs.
- Develop computational solutions, with special emphasis on AI methods, for addressing scientific research challenges.
- Publish original research in journals or conferences.
- Participating in scientific outreach and communication activities.
You will have the support of the Operations and Services teams at PIC and access to their expert knowledge in production services and systems administration. In turn, we expect from you: - Capacity to understand complex experimental environments, to identify gaps in existing data analysis workflows and to develop specific solutions to address them.
- Being proactive. Having the ability to manage independently project implementation and delivery within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to implement an agile approach for solving complex problems. Fast prototyping.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Genuine Interest in science and in keeping up to date with state of the art computing technologies for data analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Degree and area of specialization
- PhD in Science (preferable, but not exclusively, in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science).
- Experience with deep learning and AI, including frameworks as PyTorch, Jax or Tensorflow.
- Experience in Python and data science libraries, such as Numpy and Pandas.
- Advanced level of written and spoken English.
Applicants must be nationals of the European Union, or of countries in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or have a valid Spanish work permit. All documentation will be handled electronically and exclusively in pdf format. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating reference number PIC2022-AI-1 attaching a Curriculum Vitae and any other relevant documentation. Sending CVs to IFAE implies consent to the Institute’s legal warning. The selection process will be continuous until a qualified candidate is found. Ideally, the successful candidate would start working at PIC no later than September 2022.
The recruiting center will be the Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE). The place of work will be the headquarters of PIC at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. This contract will be funded from the EUROPEAN RESEARCH COUNCIL EXECUTIVE AGENCY (ERCEA) under the European Union’s Horizon Europe research and innovation programme GA101044612 COSMO-LYA project. The contract will be for 3 year, including a 6 month trial period, renewable up to an additional year depending on mutual satisfaction and availability of funds. IFAE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are particularly encouraged to apply. PIC provides a flexible work environment, and promotes a proactive goal-oriented approach in the workplace.
Port d’Informació Científica Campus UAB. Edifici D 08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona) Tel. +34 935814109 Bellaterra, June 29, 2022