This position is filled
Open Position IT Infrastructure Administrator for Data Center within the framework of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan – Funded by the European Union – Next Generation
Opening Date: Closing Date: Ref:PIC2023-PC-OPS-1
Port d’Informació Científica (PIC) is a scientific-technological center operated through a collaboration agreement between CIEMAT and IFAE research centers which is specialized in developing advanced tools and methods for scientific data analysis. We participate in research projects from multiple disciplines with challenging data environments, including particle physics, astrophysics, biology, materials science and others. Our main objective is to accelerate research by making data analysis more effective through the use of Machine Learning, High-Throughput Computing and Big Data techniques using distributed computing to support collaborative research. PIC is collaborating in several international research projects such as the ATLAS, CMS and LHCb experiments at CERN, the optical galaxy surveys DES, PAU, Euclid and DESI), the gamma-ray astronomy telescopes MAGIC and CTA, the neutrino experiments DUNE and T2K and the gravitational wave interferometers LIGO and Virgo. PIC also collaborates with many other research groups from different disciplines supporting their data-intensive research such as ALBA, ICN2 and ICMAB in material science or UAB and I3PT in genomics. PIC is looking for a highly motivated systems and infrastructure administrator with technical skills in linux and network administration and genuine interest in scientific research. The successful candidate will join the Operations team of the PIC data center and will work in close collaboration with engineers and scientists to develop, deploy and operate computing platforms to carry on the research data analysis.
Your job will consist in:
- Physical installation of computer equipment
- Maintenance and inventory verification
- Identification and management of hardware issues resolution
- Firmware upgrades of computer equipment
- Cabling and labeling of equipment
- Cable and spare parts stock management
- Installing and maintaining operating system and applications for network infrastructure
- Maintenance of procedures and documentation
- Monitoring and response to monitoring alarms
- Disk server configuration (hardware controllers, RAID, including hardware manipulation of such configurations)
- Troubleshooting for network and linux systems
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate, as well as create a good working environment, with team members, researchers and supervisors.
- Experience with inventory management tools such as OpenDCIM
- Being proactive. Having the ability to evolve and improve IT services according to the user needs
- Basic Linux system administration experience
- Hardware knowledge
- The main working language is Catalan/Spanish. Knowledge of English is required to deal with suppliers and consult documentation.
- Certificate of Higher Education (HNC/CFGS) title. You will have the support of the Operations and Services teams at PIC. Teamwork is of uttermost importance for this job.
The recruiting center will be the Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE). The place of work will be the headquarters of PIC at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (https://www.pic.es ) At least 1 position. A Full-time (40h/week) position with an “actividades científico-técnicas” contract (article 23-bis of the Spanish Act 14/2011, Ley de la ciencia, la tecnología y la innovación) linked to the project project Materials with advanced functionalities for the new technological transformation, of the area of Advanced Materials, within the frame of the R+D+I Complementary Plans of the Spanish Government. There will be a trial period of 2 months. The position will correspond to “Tècnic Junior” within the IFAE professional categories. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications within the corresponding category range. The successful candidate would start working at PIC as soon as possible.
Application and Selection process
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job reference (PIC2023-PC-OPS-1) as the Subject of the message. The mail should include a cover letter and an updated CV. Sending CVs to the above address implies consent to the legal warning at the bottom of IFAE’s Home Page. The application must contain a personal identification number (DNI, NIE or passport) in order to proceed to the verification of absence of conflict of interest required by Recovery and Resilience Mechanism of the Spanish Government. IFAE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and social integration of people with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. People from groups that are typically underrepresented in the labor market in general and in Science and Engineering in particular, such as women, minorities, or people with a disability, are particularly encouraged to apply. You may contact email@example.com for any questions related to this job opening. A Selection Committee will evaluate the received applications. If more than one candidate seems equally suitable for the position, the Selection Committee will arrange an on-line interview with each one of them as part of the Selection process. In compliance with article 121 of the Spanish Public Sector Legal Regime Act, staff with a pre-existing relationship with the Consortium administration (Generalitat de Catalunya and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona) will have priority in the awarding of the position.
This contract is part of the project Materials with advanced functionalities for the new technological transformation, of the area of Advanced Materials, within the frame of the R&D&I Complementary Plans of the Spanish Government that are part component 17 of the Recovery and Resilience Mechanism. This contract is funded by the European Union – NextGenerationEU (MICINN/PRTR funds) and by Generalitat de Catalunya.