This position is filled
Open Position Technology Transfer Assistant Technician at IFAE
Opening Date: Closing Date: Ref:IFAE2023/25_KTT
The Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE) is a public consortium of Generalitat de Catalunya, the Autonomous Government of Catalonia, and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB, a public university) whose main goal is to carry out research and to contribute to the development of high energy physics from a theoretical, experimental and technological point of view. The Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE) is located in the UAB Campus (Bellaterra, Spain) and conducts excellence research on fundamental physics, namely high-energy physics, astrophysics, cosmology and applied physics, such as medical imaging and quantum computing. IFAE is member of CERCA and BIST.
IFAE has a robust portfolio of technologies protected by patent and 4 deep-tech spin-off companies have been incorporated up to date. IFAE’s core expertise is the design, development and construction of particle & radiation detectors installed worldwide. We are involved in the ATLAS experiment at the LHC (CERN, Switzerland), the T2K neutrino experiment (J-PARC, Japan), the MAGIC telescopes (La Palma, Spain), the Dark Energy Survey project (Chile), the Virgo experiments (Italy) and the Cherenkov Telescope Array (La Palma and Chile), among others in the frontier of the knowledge, such as the new Einstein Telescope (ET) project for Gravitational Wave research
Candidate are expected to have:
- Degree in science or engineering (physics or similar) obtained within three years, or five years if a person with a disability involved.
- Level of English to interact with international partners.
- Knowledge of public patent data bases will be an asset.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) will be an asset.
- Professional Experience:
- Experience working in a research and/or KTT environment will be a plus
What will be your role?
We are looking for a Technology Transfer Technician to support the Knowledge and Technology Transfer (KTT) Unit. Tasks:
- Analysis of new inventions developed in international collaborations (patent search, innovation potential and business opportunity validation).
- Writing of technological valorization proposals. Technology protection and exploitation strategy definition.
- Support in technology protection, licensing and creation of new spin-offs. KTT output reporting to funding agencies.
- Promotion of the portfolio of technologies in international congresses and workshops.
- Diffusion of public programmes for valorisation and IPR management oriented to IFAE researchers.
- Participation in local, regional and national Tech Transfer Networks
IFAE offers a full time (40 hours/week) training contract for the professional practice with a duration of 12 months. The assistant technician will carry out innovation consultancy activities to support IFAE researchers in bringing R&D results from lab to market. The position corresponds to IFAE’s labor category of “Tècnic/a d’Administració”, with a salary in accordance with the qualifications and experience of the candidate. A training on innovation and entrepreneurship is offered, getting an official degree by a Business School within the framework of the “From Science to Business” course, organized by the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST).
Application and Selection process:
If you are a motivated person to work in a dynamic environment, if you are proactive and you wish to work in an international center like IFAE, please send your updated CV, a letter of intent or motivation and one or two letters of recommendation to Prof. Mario Martínez (Group Leader of VIRGO/ET, firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Isaac Esparbé (Head of KTT Unit, email@example.com ). Sending CVs to the above address implies consent to the IFAE’s legal warning on data privacy.
IFAE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and social integration of people with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. People from groups that are typically underrepresented in the labour market in general and in Science and Engineering in particular, such as women, minorities, or people with a disability, are particularly encouraged to apply.
A Selection Committee will evaluate the received applications. If more than one candidate seems equally suitable for the position, the Selection Committee will arrange an on-line interview with each one of them as part of the Selection process.