The long-term goal of the GraphRetina project is to produce a new generation of retinal prosthesis for patients with retinal degeneration with a higher quality and more useful visual experience compared to that achieved by current artificial vision technology. The short-term objective is to advance in the exploration of novel methodologies to improve focal stimulation with graphene-based electrodes and to generate the first prototype of the retinal microelectrode array (MEA) that can be implanted into an animal model as a proof of concept (PoC) of our long-term vision.
The scientific and technology goals of this project are:
- Optimization of in vivo gene transfection, retina excision and retina preparation
- Improvement of focal stimulation with microelectrodes
- Integration of electronics for multichannel stimulation and recording
- Design and fabrication of a PoC flexible MEA device with graphene-based electrodes
- In vivo assessment of implants in a large animal model, monitoring the mechanical stability of the device in the eye and its interaction with the neural tissue
GRAPHCAT : The Graphene Community Of Catalonia